Friday 20 July 2012

Vintage inspiration

I have a real passion for vintage. Whether it be clothing, mirrors, sunglasses...i love it. Even if its hideous, I am still intrigued with it, because as some point, it will have belonged to somebody who loved it and thought it was wonderful! Over the past couple of years i have started to collect a few vintage items from shops, fairs and charity shops. 
This dress is from Laura Ashley. As my mum informs me regularly, 'Laura Ashley dresses were beautiful when i was younger, beautiful fabrics and looked gorgeous'.  And she is right. This was originally hers, which she no longer wears. It is floor length black silk with buttons down the front. It has a side slip and huge white flowers around the bottom. It feels lovely to wear and can be made to look modern if worn with a leather jacket and some heels (or converse as i like to wear it). 


 This is another hand me down off Mum! Its actually very very retro Dorothy Perkins. I first wore it to a Christmas party when i was about 15 and got so many compliments because it is so different to anything that was around at the time. It is sheer black chiffon, with blue and green metallic thread woven into it. With no fastenings it looks loose which is ideal for tucking into shorts and skirts.
 This is one of my favorite dresses. I bought it from vintage shop Cow last year. I love it because no one else owns it, or anything like it at all, it is nipped in round the waist which makes it very flattering. I tend to wear this in the day, and it is perfect for winter or summer. In winter, it looks great with a leather jacket, black tights and some heeled Chelsea boots, whereas in the summer it looks perfect with a pair of pastel socks and some brogues.
 I got this sweatshirt from a tiny vintage shop in Sheffield. Was only £10 and i wear it all the time...I practically lived in it at the festival i went to earlier this year!
 This scarf i found in a charity shop near where i live. It was about £1. This scarf goes with everything! Its incredibly useful and can turn a dull outfit of jeans and a T-shirt, into a proper ensemble. I wear it all the time, and sure it will follow me into much later life!
 These are a few objects in my room. I found both flower pots in a charity shop when i was about 10. Then recently i have filled them with fake flowers myself to create lovely arrangements to go in my room. The girl on the bench is sort of vintage, I won her at a fair when i was 3. I have loved this ornament so much ever since then and its got a few chips in it now, making it look extremely vintage!


No comments:

Post a Comment