Friday 20 July 2012

DVC- ID Magazine cover

For a recent DVC (Design and Visual Communication) project, we were asked to design a magazine cover. I chose to use ID magazine for the layout and inspiration for my photos and theme. The basis of the theme was ‘Royal Rebellion’. This is because of the impending Jubilee; I thought it would be relevant. To stick with this theme, I decided I wished my model to be wearing lots of jewellery, especially rings. 


 Image development-1
I like this picture because I think that it has a good impact when you look at it with the facial expression which my model is using. However I chose not to use it because it is unclear that the model was lying on the ground and so the hair and necklace placement look a bit strange and also just by having her face and hands I don’t think the image is strong enough to make a big enough impact. It also doesn’t reflect my theme of ‘Royal rebellion’ to be best ability to which it could. 
 Image development-2
I really like the icey tones and colours which I have used on this image after I took it. However I think that the actual pose of the picture is quite dull and it doesn’t make a very strong impact. The jewellery which can be seen however I think looks very effective and you can see it clearly. For a cover like ID however, I don’t think it makes enough of a statement.  
 Image development-3
This image is actually very similar to Image 2, but with an extended elbow. Although this image is slightly more interesting than image 2, I think that the placement of the elbow makes it look like the page is a bit split up, which can make the eye wander to parts of the page which aren’t very interesting. I do like the colours which are used on this image however, none of the picture is in focus particularly and so none of it stands out and it wouldn’t make much of an impression on an ID cover. 
 Image development-4
This was another image which I was actually quite keen on using. This is because the expression in the models face has a lot more impact and the picture is a bit stronger. Also ID magazine use a lot of black and white on their covers, and so this could be very representative of their brand. I chose not to use it because I don’t like how the elbows are cut off as the hands look as though they appear from nowhere and it distorts the image quite a lot. Also for greyscale to work, the image has to be especially strong and this picture needed to have more impact. 
 Image development-5
I like the colours on this image because they are just the heightened real colours of the actual model and jewellery etc. Also I like the fact that in incorporates the ‘smile and a wink’ which is a part of their brand. However I don’t think that it reflects royal rebellion particularly well and the wink looks more sexy than cheeky and slightly royal which was the look I had intended for. Also for using such bold but standard colours, the picture would have to be far more polished than it is and I didn’t feel I could achieve this with this picture. 
Chosen Design
The ring which is most in focus is a vintage jewelled ring, which I think represents the theme well. I chose this picture to represent the theme best because it stands out from a standard face shot, as the face is not in focus, it means that all the emphasis is on the hand with the rings. Because of the punch pose, the picture has a great impact when you first look at it. I think that it makes more of an impression than some of the other just facial shots which I have chosen to show as part of my development. I chose to use ID as the magazine because their front covers are often quite a simple shot with a very simple background and this picture represents this well. The ‘Rebellion’ part of ‘Royal Rebellion’ is also shown by the punching pose because this shows a forcefulness to the picture and it is something which you would not expect to see from a royal. ID magazine also have a section to their Facebook account called ‘A smile and a wink’, and I have tried to incorporate the wink element to this by covering one of the eyes with her fist.

No comments:

Post a Comment